Dear Families and Friends of Catoctin,
I hope this message finds you well! Camp is filled with the faces of the smiling young campers, as our oldest unit, unit 1B, have embarked on their traditional 10 day long trip.
We have just finished up a week full of fun and challenging overnight unit trips:
- 5/6 had a great time rock climbing at the Fishing Creek natural rocks near camp.
- 4/5 hiked to coffee hollow, where they played with paint rocks, stones that can be used to produce an impromptu paint.
- 3/4 did an intensity trip, hiking 8 to 9 miles every day. However, because the unit visited so many pretty overlooks, they decided to call their hike the “viewtensity” trip.
- 2/3 went canoeing on the Antietam Creek and Potomac River, visiting Harpers Ferry on the last day to fill up water and, in their own words, get a quick sight of civilization.
- 1/2 met up with unit 4/5 at Cunningham Falls, giving the unit of older campers an opportunity to enjoy leadership roles as they acted as model campers for the younger unit.
- 1B just finished the canoeing portion of their 10 day, and are preparing to set out on their marathon day tomorrow (a 26 mile long day of hiking!).
This upcoming Monday a long time friend to camp, Slim, will be coming to visit. Every year when Slim visits he calls a square dance and tells stories. We are excited to have him come and visit, so we can spend the night dancing and singing before heading out to trips.
This past Saturday (August 1st) campers signed up for two events that occur on the Sunday halfway between every session. One of those events was rock climbing, where campers who had units that did not go rock climbing during trips had an opportunity to learn or further develop their skills. The other event is Dharma, in which a local temple allows us to come share in their meditation and worship.
Some Friendly reminders:
- Pick-up at the end of this session is Sunday, August 9th, between 10:30am and 12:00pm. Families and caregivers are welcome to join us at 10:30am for Meeting for Worship at the Fire Circle.
- Check in with your camper about whether or not they have checked the Lost and Found.
- Pick up medications from our Nurse Practitioner, who will be stationed by the front porch.
- Make sure to grab any crafts your child created from the Craft Shelter.
- Please remember that you must check out with the Director before you leave.
Thank you so much for your continued support!
Love and Light,