BYM Camps Staff Information
All staff are 17 years old or older, and staff at Teen Adventure are 21 and older. A large majority of the camp staff are former campers. Because so many are former campers, they have had many years of camp experience already! We love to hire from outside the program as well.
All staff go through at least one week of training prior to camp. In addition, staff from each of the four camps come together for Skills Week which is a week long specialized training. Then each camp has a week of mandatory pre-camp training for their entire staff. We certify many staff members each year in CPR. Skills Week trainings, offered in rotation, include:
- Canoe skills and whitewater safety from CKAPCO
- Wilderness First Aid offered by SOLO
- Lifeguarding from the American Red Cross
In addition to these, some staff at each camp are trained as:
- certified rock climbing instructors through Earth Treks Climbing Center
- Wilderness First Responders
Resources for Current/Returning Staff
Skills Week Training 2019:
This year’s training will be Leave No Trace and Wilderness First Aid at Shiloh, starting June 17. Teen Adventure staff will train in Lexington, VA at the TA site.
Pre-camp training 2019:
Saturday, June 22nd training begins at each camp for all counselors or check with your director for varying start times.
If you are interested in locating a training or certification that we do not offer or are not offering this year, use the resources below to find information about local classes that may be available. If you have other good sites or trainings to recommend, please let the Camp Administrative Secretary know.
- Wilderness First Aid: SOLO
- Canoe instructor and whitewater safety: American Canoe Association
- Lifeguarding and CPR: American Red Cross
- Rock Climbing Instructor: Earth Treks Climbing Center, Columbia, MD
The following forms need to be completed and uploaded to your camp staff account before you arrive at camp.
All Staff (returning and new)
- Medical form (log in to your online staff account and complete before camp starts)
- Photo release
- Liability release
- w4 2019 (new staff or if you have a major change to your income, upload the first page only, after completion)
- signed contract – you will receive an email with your contract for the summer, sign and upload
New Catoctin Staff
Please complete the following in addition to the All Staff forms.
- Catoctin: fingerprint form (new staff)
- Catoctin: CPS form completed online at MD DHR portal Only if you live in Maryland(follow instructions in email, complete online at DHR site, print, get notarized, save as your “last name first name” and upload to your camp account)
SEEKING A DIRECTOR FOR OPEQUON QUAKER CAMP FOR 2020
Baltimore Yearly Meeting (BYM) is seeking a Director for the 2020 camp season for Opequon Quaker Camp, a residential camp for children ages 9-14. This is a part-time year-round position, with full-time responsibilities during the summer camping season, mid-June through mid-August.
This applicant will be responsible for every aspect of making sure Opequon Quaker Camp is a continued success. The applicant should be spiritually grounded and familiar with how children can be transformed by experiencing the wilderness, creative workshops, and community. The director should be able to teach skills that will lead counselors in creating opportunities for spiritual growth among their campers. They must be familiar with safe and appropriate low-impact wilderness practices and be able to teach them and evaluate their implementation by others. He or she should also be organized, possess good social skills and be able to prevent and manage crises effectively. Applicants with experience in the BYM Camping Program are especially encouraged to apply.
Please apply by November 30, 2019. We hope to have a new director in place by the end of December.
BYM is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring based on race, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, age, or national origin.